Nick’s hair was sooo long! He was way overdue for a haircut, and had decided he wanted to have a more business-like look. Nikki has been styling his hair for years. When we walked in and he showed her the picture of what he wanted she was really nervous about cutting his hair so drastically. They ended up coming to a compromise. I’m happy with it.
I use this recipe frequently when I have bananas that are getting over ripe.
Recipe from my Mom’s, Betty Crocker’s New Picture Cook Book, 1961
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. soft shortening (Crisco)
3/4 cup milk
3 cups Gold Medal Flour
2 1/2 teas. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup mashed bananas
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5x3″ pan. (spray with Pam ~L) Mix sugar, shortening and egg thoroughly. Stir in milk. Measure flour by dip-level-pour method or by sifting. Blend dry ingredients; stir in. Blend in nuts. Pour into pan. Bake 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into center comes out clean. (Crack in top of loaf is characteristic.) Cool thoroughly before slicing with a thin, sharp knife.
(Laura’s note: I actually used some self-rising flour I had and wanted to use up, and didn’t use the salt or baking powder since it’s included in the flour already- it came out perfect!)
I didn’t write this and don’t know who did…but I reallyyy like it! Found this on Nithya Shanti’s Facebook page, maybe he wrote it?
Tips for Better Life
1. Take a 10-30 minutes walk every day. And while you walk, smile.
2. Don’t over do. Keep your limits.
3. Sleep for 7 hours.
4. Live with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
5. Play more games.
6. Read more books than you did the previous year.
7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
8. Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
9. Dream more while you are awake.
10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
11. Drink plenty of water.
12. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
13. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip.
14. Forget issues of the past. Don’t remind your partner with his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
15. Don’t have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
16. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
17. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
18. Smile and laugh more.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don’t hate others.
20. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
21. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
22. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
23. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about. Don’t compare your partner with others.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
25. Forgive everyone for everything.
26. What other people think of you is none of your business.
27. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
28. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
29. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
30. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
31. The best is yet to come.
32. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
33. Do the right thing!
34. Call your family often.
35. Your inner most is always happy. So be happy.
36. Each day give something good to others.
37. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.